Multiple Aperture Infrared Missile Warning System
MAIR (Multiple Aperture InfraRed) is a missile warning system based on multiple InfraRed sensors, able to cover the full angular volume around the aircraft. Thanks to the new generation IR detector technology MAIR achieves high missile warning performance in a light, compact, and low power consumption design.
Man Portable Air Defense Systems (MANPADS) are the cause of most aircraft losses in the last decade. Innovative systems, able to effectively counter these threats, and increase the safety of flight, are a primary need for both civil and military users. MAIR provides immediate warnings, high detection probability, and a very low false alarm rate in heavily cluttered scenarios.
The IR technology allows the detection of threats at their very early stage thus providing a longer timeframe for counteraction.
MAIR provides tracking in each stage of missile flight and a suite of video functions for full spherical situation awareness, in addition to early missile launch warnings. MAIR is designed for an easy interface with countermeasure systems (DIRCM, flares).
The system can be installed on a large range of platforms, both fixed and rotary wing, manned and unmanned, to be used in a multitude of domains (fighter, surveillance, cargo, tanker, tactical, airliners/business jet also in a dedicated plug-in configuration).
MAIR is a scalable system composed of at least 5 interconnected optical heads (MOHx, x=1… 5) to cover 360 degrees in azimuth and 270 in elevation around the hosting platform. An additional 6th optical head completes the full spherical coverage. In its basic configuration, all the processing and communications run on board of the heads processing electronics.
A second configuration foresees the MAIR Central Processing Unit (MCPU) for enhanced video functions, data fusion with external sensors, and full mission recording capability.
Day-night full spherical vision is simultaneously and independently available on aircraft displays and helmets.
MAIR is highly modular for customizations and it is specifically designed to minimize Size, Weight, and Power Requirements.
MAIR has been successfully tested during Surface to Air Launch Trials 2018 (Salt III).
MAIR is the result of Leonardo Airborne and Space Systems' extensive experience in the design and production of systems based on infrared technologies for surveillance and situational awareness purposes, for airborne, ground, and naval applications.
Its open architecture design allows for future evolution in accordance with technology trends, thus guaranteeing customers a long-term edge solution.
- Key Features
- Technical Specifications
- MAIR works in a complete passive operation environment by exploiting the thermal IR band.
- Thanks to its fast refresh time and advanced false alarm rejection algorithms, MAIR ensures a high probability of early missile launch detection.
- Using IR image capability, it is able to continuously update the threat collision paths. Its performance is continuously tested versus different backgrounds by real data and IR physics-based intensive simulations.
Hostile Fire Indication (HFI) Threat
- Detector high resolution and sensitivity allow for Tracer Detection and Tracer Conditioned Muzzle Detection, active together with all other MAIR features.
Day and Night Spherical Vision
- Each MOH (Optical Head) is provided with a video output to be used for IR picture presentation on the helmet displays of the pilots or on the cockpit displays, in order to present to the pilot the image related to the operative scenario and threats for situation awareness.
- MAIR provides Full Sky surveillance for situation awareness, a heritage of the market-leading Leonardo IRST products.
- Bands: Thermal IR
- Coverage (5 heads): 360° x 270°
- Coverage (6 heads): 360° x 360°
- Size: <120 mm x 108 mm x 107 mm
- Weight: <2 Kg per head
- Power: <24 W per head
- Operative Temperature: -40°C to +71°C
- Storage Temperature: -55°C to +80°C
- MTBF: 10000 FH (per head)
- Bus: MIL-STD-1553-B, G-Ethernet
- MCPU consumption: <150 W
- MCPU weight: <10 Kg
- MCPU dimensions: (1/2 ATR)